Wednesday 2 November 2016

X-Wing Part 3 - Adding More Detail

In this part I will be adding more detail to the model and be trying to add the finishing touches.

The Gun

This was part was pretty simple, just shaping a cylinder with lots of extrusions. A few techniques I used while modelling it were cutting the cylinder of the gun in half and using the bridge tool to create the C shape.

Wings Cont.

For this I grouped the wing objects changed the wings pivot point to the centre of the ship and then duplicated the object so I had 4 wings. A shortcut I found really helpful here was when you select any object from a group and press the Up arrow, it selects to group that object is attached to.

Details

For this part I cut out holes in the back and side of the sip to add room for the wings to extrude into the ship. I also added some random objects to the top and back and an R2-D2 on the top of the ship to make it look more detailed. I may change these to textures later on to improve polygon efficiency but for now it looks good.

Overview

Overall I think the model creating process went pretty well, the main problem I had was when I was smoothing my objects, every time I smoothed an object it lost it's shape or was slightly out of line with another object, to get around this I used edge loops around the corners and sharp edges so the objects kept their shape however this meant that I had a lot of edge loops in my model and it made it look slightly untidy.

No comments:

Post a Comment