Wednesday 2 November 2016

New Techniques Learnt

Helpful tools/Shortcuts
Most of these I learnt when creating my X-Wing model:

Delete Edge Vertex - Deletes edge along with the vertex, This helped a lot when I was creating edge loops for the ship
Drag select faces - I mentioned this in an earlier post but this tool is very useful for selecting multiple faces quickly and I used it a lot in my models as it saved me time.
Shift + period - to increase selection by 1 region, I used this when modelling the detail on the engine, I selected the top faces and needed the sides as well so I found this shortcut to help speed things up.
Inverse selection - I used this quite a bit mainly to cut out the detail on my engines, it is very useful as it saves me selecting all the opposite faces which would have taken me longer.
Freeze Transformations - For when I duplicated objects and wanted to make extra details like on my engine, freeze the transformation, work on the objects away from the other one then set the axis to 0 again to perfectly align it back.
G to repeat previous actions - I used this quite a bit when i was smoothing out my objects, it saved me time rather than trying to find the tool in the menu.

A Technique I found but did not use

Append to polygon - This creates a polygon between two edges and the reason I didn't use this is because I prefer the bridge and fill hole tool however I can see how this tool can be useful as you can just click the edges instead of going into the menu and selecting bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment