Wednesday 5 October 2016

Week 2 - Low Polygon House/Steering Wheel

This week I've been playing around with Maya to try and learn the basics of modelling using the software. I've created a simple low polygon house and a simple steering wheel which was fairly easy to make but has given me the fundamentals to start work on creating my Star Wars models.




What I learned?
Creating this house has taught me a few things including:
Selecting face, edge and vertex
Adding divisions
How to extrude objects
Multi-select
How to 'connect' two edges, useful for splitting an object

The main challenge I faced during this exercise was trying to connect the edges on the roof, in the end I found that the vertex tool was really helpful for connecting edges more accurately.


What I learned?
Creating the steering wheel I learned a few more skills:
Changing Pivot points
Snapping tool
Duplicating objects
Smooth tool for the ends of the steeling wheel


The main challenge for this was getting the sticks on the wheel to line up at perfect angles to the wheel, in the end I used the snap tool along with moving the wheel by typing in numbers into the position axis instead of doing it by eye, this mean I could do one side and just write the negative axis to copy it to the other side and it would be in the exact place.
















No comments:

Post a Comment